Thursday, June 7, 2012

Sunflower Butter Treats (vegan)





         It’s around 3 o’clock and I hear the boys running to the kitchen yelling, “Banana pop momma!” (Recipe to come) I look in the freezer and then I take a quick half full breath. I think ok, the organic bananas won’t be ripe for a few more days and another 4 hours at least to freeze… then I open the cabinet that the boys are now opening and slamming shut, and look around. Then I begin to think, dried peas? No, too long to make, dried fruit? No, where’s the protein? Then I see sunflower butter. And then I remember my sister in law gave me a recipe for no bake peanut butter balls. I thought about it…I could just sub ingredients for what I have on hand. After the quick thought I ask my son, “Do you want to help?” With wide eyes he says, “Of course mommy.” Then I say, “ok, open up the cabinet you’re standing in front of, and on the bottom shelf is a mixing bowl, grab it please. Then get a chair so you can reach the counter top.” While he is on his mission, I put the baby in her high chair with some teething toys. Then I grabbed my other son's favorite coloring book with some crayons and told him to go to town on the floor of the kitchen. “Ok… we can do this!” I say out loud, I think?
            Next, I grab my almond meal, coconut flour, sweetener, sun butter, and a big spoon. "OH yes! This is going to be so blog worthy!" Before I jumped to my camera and tripod we begin to mix all the ingredients together until the batter forms a ball that sticks together. My son starts to mold little characters out of the dough. J This all happened within 10 minutes. Viola!
            So here we are. No bake chocolate covered sweet and salty sun butter formed into a little bit sized ball! All in a simple treat. Well really, they are good for you. So yes, a treat for your mind, body and the little old spirit!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sun butter 
1/2 cup almond meal or flour
1 tbsp coconut flour (or coco powder if you don't have any)
2 tbsp honey/maple syrup
1/4 tsp sea salt or less

1 chocolate bar melted 


For unrefined sugar free: 
1/2 cup coco powder + 1 tbsp
4 tbsp of coconut oil (melted)
2 tbsp maple syrup (optional 5 drops of stevia) 


Things you'll need:
mixing bowl, a spoon to mix ingredients, measuring cup and spoons, airtight container, drying rack or parchment paper, double boiler or a home made double boiler-sauce pot and a glass bowl to fit filled with an inch of water. Bowl should not be touching water. Example 

Sunflower butter dough
Mix, sun butter, almond meal, coconut flour and honey/maple syrup together in a mixing bowl until it all sticks together in a ball. Place the dough in the fridge in an airtight container for one hour.

Melting chocolate
Right before you take them out of the fridge, melt the chocolate over a double boiler or a homemade double boiler. break up the bar in pieces and place them in the double boiler or home made double boiler. turn up the heat to low. once the chocolate starts to melt keep stirring until the chocolate is completely melted. Once the chocolate is melted, turn off the and grab your dough.


homemade chocolate
Right before you take them out of the fridge, mix the ingredients in a double boiler or a homemade double boiler. Turn up the heat to low. when the mix is runny turn off the heat and grab you dough.

Grab your sunflower butter dough and make bit size balls.Using a spoon, coat sunflower butter treats with the melted chocolate and place them on a drying rack or parchment paper until the chocolate is set.
Store them in an airtight container in the fridge. 


(homemade chocolate adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie)
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. They look yummy Katy! I can just picture the whole scene of baking with the kids, you are such a natural mom....and natural baker , ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could visualize the whole scene too... you're definitely a natural! both as a mother and a writer... I love how you blend your life in the country with organic cooking -- kept me interested :)

      Delete